Our September Homeschool Hours!

Sunday, October 2, 2016


Okay...we're first time homeschoolers here, so I may be going a wee bit overboard with my recording of hours and with my expectations overall, etc. All that said, I'm super happy to have figured out that our first month of homeschooling gave us 139 hours to record for the state! Woo-hoo!! Way to go Zoey and way to go mama!! Wisconsin requires 875 hours of instruction throughout the school year. We are well on our way and I feel like it's pretty safe to say we're going to go over that required number.

Did it feel like 139 hours? Yes, pretty sure it did. For both Zoey and I. :)  She mentioned to me at the end of last week that she feels like she's done more in this one month than in the last three years of public school. YIKES! I will just say, we had a little chat about that and we're both planning on adjusting our expectations a bit to meet in the middle a little better. That said, do I think we may have over-done things here and there? Yes, especially on those first few days...I might be learning to lighten up just a smidge. Did I record everything...as in every-little-thing? Yes, I did! I am counting any library programs, activities, free reading, dance classes, hikes, etc. that she takes part in. It all counts, so I'm counting it! Were most of our recorded hours actual school "work" hours? YES!

We're feeling like we may have hit a little bit of a groove I think and I have to say, it feels good. This week is exciting because we're starting in on some new topics and new books. In Science we're moving into learning about the skeletal system and in Geography we're talking about North America and Zoey will be starting in on reading Hungry Planet: What the World Eats and Material World: A Global Family Portrait. These will both be spines that she refers to as she travels around the world, along with her book Geography of the World. We are reading the book titled, Navigating Early together and discussing it starting this month and for Literature she is starting to read the book Walk Two Moons.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!