Busy Week!

Friday, October 28, 2016

This past week has been super busy for us. I had some additional programming to take care of at the library (where I work part-time as our community's youth services librarian). Extra work for me meant for mostly independent work for Zoey and the feeling of less school over all (with the exception of math and reading which she diligently worked on moving forward with). I kind of feel like this was a bum week for us, our first this year. That said, I'm trying not to feel too badly about things because one of our area public schools had Wed-Fri off this week. We're a bit "behind" where I thought we would be at this point but will use this next week to get back to where I want to be. I guess the beauty of homeschooling is having true flexibility! 

One of her new favorite books that she's reading for science lately is this one...


She is continuing to really enjoy Guest Hollow's Human Anatomy studies. I am too, it's content rich, includes many different ways of reaching the learner and for me, it's laid out so clearly that we can just pretty much open and go and if I need materials I can seek them out in advance and feel ready for whatever is coming next. Super awesome.

For geography, literature and reading we are hoping to wrap up her current study of North America and the two books that she is reading Walk Two Moons and Navigating Early. She is also wrapping up her project on Fashion in the U.S. (her choice geography project).

After starting in on Writing with Skill I think we're backing away from it again and going to stick with the copywork, dictation, and narration suggested that's written into the Build Your Library curriculum as well as incorporating some of Brave Writer into the mix. Zoey is finding it (WWS) dry and repetitive and I am too. When I look ahead and see that it appears to be more of the same, just presented in different ways, I think it would make for a very long and perhaps not joyous year of outlining, outlining and more outlining.

Some things that I'm excited about that are coming up...

We're planning on wrapping up our current studies upon finishing up our books next week and moving into a study of the election process. Mostly using books, online resources, and some electoral maps I've found online. All of the books we're using I found through the library. Yay!


Upon finishing our mini election unit study we're (so excitedly!!!) going to move into a month long study of Winter Holidays around the World. Zoey is so pumped about this and so am I. This will be our rebel act of homeschooling this year I think (haha!). We're making it fun! It will fit into our geography studies nicely and also allow for us to ease into the holidays ourselves. That's the idea anyways. I am finding the books that we'll be using through Thrift Books and it's a mix of non-fiction chapter books and picture books featured around the Winter Solstice, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and the Chinese New Year celebrations. I'll be using a mix of BYL's Unit Study and other things, beefing it up a bit with other resources so that it's a bit meatier.

So, that's what's up in our corner of the world lately...lots that we're doing and even more that we're planning.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!