Medieval History | Beautiful Feet Books

Wednesday, April 5, 2017


I'm a planner and that means in the back of my mind I've been thinking about what it is that we'll be doing next year already! Together, Zoey and I decided for history next year that we'll be using the Medieval History from Beautiful Feet Books. I was able to purchase the books used (yay!) all in one lot at a great price, all I need to purchase is the history timeline and the world map, (if we think we need it...we do already have a wonderful world map for the wall).


It's always so exciting to get new books in the mail and these did not disappoint! Zoey wanted to start reading King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table right away. :) She is so excited that we're going to be working on medieval times.


If we end up enjoying this curriculum, which, after giving it the once-over, I do think that we will...the order for upcoming years would be:

9th - Early American & World History
10th - Ancient History
11th - Medieval (we may sub this out depending on how fresh it is or isn't in Zoey's mind)
12th - Modern U.S. and World History

We will want to fit a Civics, Government and Economics class in there somewhere too. It's possible that she will be taking a Civics class at the co-op next year if they offer it, which currently, it sounds like they will.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the curriculum guide...


I love that it has a bit more structure than we've had this year with using Build Your Library's Geography study. It starts out with a list of vocabulary words to define prior to reading the words in the assigned weekly readings. Next are the assigned readings from the books with some follow up questions to discuss or journal about in a notebook. There are projects that are meant to go in a portfolio that you create and add to throughout the year and several links to videos or websites with relevant additional information to seek out, as well as other book suggestions to gather from the library if there is an interest to go further. Depending on what is being discussed, a suggestion to add something to the timeline or wall map may be included as well.


I really think this will be good for both Zoey and I. This year has been wonderful with BYL's Geography, don't get me wrong...it's just that we feel it's been a lot of reading and memorizing maps, and that's pretty much it (we're not into the copywork or dictation part of things, which I know totally works for many families). The books have truly all been nothing short of amazing, but we just need a few more hands on type of learning activities which this year, I've been feeling like I've been doing somewhat on the fly here on my own to make things more meaningful for Zoey.

Having this guide will be wonderful for me!! For Zoey too, I hope!


The illustrated book of Canterbury Tales is just beautiful! It's hard to tell, but the illustrations are surrounded with designs printed in gold ink. Zoey loves reading books with old language in them, she is itching to get started!!


I think it's fascinating that she'll be learning about the actual architecture somewhat too of the cathedrals and castles of that era.


So, I know it's early...but this is a little snapshot of what we're planning for Zoey's 8th grade year for history. We'll share more as we start in on it next fall for sure!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!