Winter Holidays Unit Study | Winter Solstice

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

 
We've been continuing our reading of our books on the Winter Solstice and have been enjoying the tales from around the world especially so.


Our weather is finally starting to get a bit cooler so we fashioned some simple bird feeders using pine cones, peanut butter and bird seed.


There are actually lots of ideas for Winter Solstice bird feeders/winter bird feeders at The Crafty Crow. Last year we made ones using hollowed out orange peels and filling the orange peel halves with seeds. I always think these feeders are so pretty hanging from the trees.

We read today that a long time ago people would hang apples and other fruits and foods from the evergreen trees to remind them that spring was to return again and that greener days were ahead.




I got Zoey's pointe shoes sewn up for dance class, I've done them up three different ways now and they are still popping off the backs of her heels so it looks like her dance teacher is going to try and find a different pair for her. I'm happy that she'll be getting a different pair but am nervous that it's going to be too late to break them in on time for the upcoming Nutcracker performance coming up in mid December. We're going to stay positive and see what happens though.

Yesterday was my birthday. We had a somewhat quiet day of school mixed in with some sewing of Zoey's shoes for dance and then I had to head in to an evening of work at the library. I came home and then was up until at least 3am due to having a sharp pain in the middle of my stomach that wouldn't go away, I was convinced that I had appendicitis and that the evening/morning was going to end with me going in to the emergency room but somehow I made it through the night and then slept for a few hours in the morning. Upon waking the pain slowly subsided and I've been alright for the most part all day. Praying that I stay healthy here these next few days. Not exactly the way I would have preferred to bring in the start of my "new" year but, things could have been way worse!

XO,
Jen

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!