Winter Holidays Unit Study | Winter Solstice

Sunday, November 13, 2016

This week we are starting our Winter Holidays Around the World unit of study from Build Your Library. I've mentioned it already in previous blog posts, but I'm really excited about it and so is Zoey! I hope our excitement is warranted. We are adding in lots of additional projects to make it a bit meatier since we are pressing pause on our normal geography and science curriculum just during this unit study. We will be continuing on with math, grammar, and handwriting. Geography, writing, reading, art and some science is incorporated with our unit study. 

Our areas of study in the following weeks will be:

Winter Solstice
Hanukkah
Kwanzaa
Chinese New Year and
Christmas

We're starting with studying about the Winter Solstice and our first project will be to craft a celebration crown of sorts using some yule greens along with other bits and pieces that we find. 



One of the books that we will be starting this week is The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice by Carolyn McVickar Edwards. Along with this book of stories we will be reading several picture books as well. I'm a firm believer (being a part-time library employee) that it's fantastic to read picture books even if you are well into adulthood! I have been known to tell people that some of my all time favorite books are indeed childrens books, so I don't feel badly that we are working these into our studies. 

It's been kind of difficult for us to get into the spirit of the upcoming holidays here since the weather has been so unusually warm and sunny! Two years ago at this time we had 17 inches of snow already! Zoey has been checking the weather online every day and there hasn't been any snowfall foretasted in the near future as of yet. To say she is patiently waiting for snow would be perhaps a false statement if there ever was one. She can't wait for it to snow and I have to admit that I am anxiously waiting too! 

I'll be sharing some more of our Winter Solstice activities here throughout the rest of the week...it feels good to have a little bit of the weekend left to enjoy finally! After being sick for so many days and working with Zoey on school and at the library through it all, I'm ready to get back on track again. Sitting at my desk and organizing for the week ahead has me already feeling more prepared. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!